Advancing Standards in Party Wall Surveying
“Basement” Course - 1 Day
DURATION: One day - IN-HOUSE ONLY - MINIMUM 6 DELEGATES
CPD: 7 hours
This course is suitable for:
- Practicing party wall surveyors
- Structural engineers & architects
- Contractors undertaking basement works
Course Description: The aim of this course is to provide a thorough understanding of the law in respect of the Party Wall etc. Act, specifically, the limitations it places on the structural design and construction of basements and related matters. In addition, it will provide general awareness of the statutory procedures set out in the Act for the notification of certain works and the determination by appointed surveyors of disputes arising therefrom. However, the course is not designed to give knowledge of other areas of the Act that a party wall surveyor would need to know in order to act competently.
- Defining Party Fence Walls, Party Walls and Party Structures
- An overview of the works to which the Act applies
- Ownership in terms of the Act and why it is important
- Implementing the Act: Notices and their service & surveyor’s appointments etc.
- Access to neighbouring land - section 8
- Definitions: Foundation & Special Foundation
- Distinguishing a foundation from a wall in party wall terms.
- Raising a party wall downwards. Standard Bank of British South America v Stokes 
- The relevance of the County Court case of Chaturachanda v Fairholme  to basement works
- Issues arising from the party wall award appeal of Russell Gray v Elite Town Management 
- Unnecessary inconvenience - section 7(1); Loss or damage – section 7(2)
- The special foundation compensation provisions of section s11(10)
- Damages for/removing trespassing foundations
- Advising engineers and section 10(13): Their appointment, role and reasonable fees.
There will be a Q&A session at the end of the day, time permitting
Delegates will be provided with web-links to download two comprehensive workbooks – ‘Course Notes’ and ‘An Introduction to the Basic Principles of the Act (Basement Edition)’ plus both 2015 Court case transcripts.
PartyWallSurveyors.org reserve the right to alter the course content without notice.